170 years of the Post of Serbia
His Holiness IRINEJ Serbian Patriarch, accompanied by His Grace Vicar Bishop Atanasije of Hvosno attended last night at the gallery the opening of the exhibition of 170 years of the Post of Serbia. The exhibits from the Belgrade Postal Museum reminded those present of the history and the beginning of the work of the Serbian postal service.
In 1840 by the decree of the Ministry of Internal Affairs the Post of Serbia was organized then by the contemporary standards of Europe of that time. Until then, in Serbia the postal service had been organized by the Turkish or so-called tatar dispatch system, and the main post office was located on the Kalemegdan in the building of old "Menzulana".
The opening of the exhibition, besides the host Mr. Goran Ciric, Director General of the PTT SERBIA, was also attended by Mr. Mirko Cvetkovic, Prime Minister of the Republic of Serbia, Mr. Nebojsa Bradic, Minister of Culture, representatives of the Army of Serbia, diplomatic corps, churches and church communities and many interested citizens.