Iconographer and Russian historian launches unique website featuring "Hagia Sophia," Church of the Holy Wisdom25. May 2012 - 10:28
An interesting new site illustrating the history of Constantinople’s Church of the Holy Wisdom — popularly known as “Hagia Sophia” — recently appeared on the internet.
A “must visit” for Orthodox Christians, especially those interested in Church history, iconography, mosaics, and ecclesiastical architecture, the site gives special attention to the magnificent “Deesis” mosaic in the church’s south gallery. Depicting Christ flanked by the Theotokos and Saint John the Forerunner, the exquisite mosaic was uncovered in the 1930s. It is one of the world’s most beloved images of Our Lord.
The Ascetic Homilies of St Isaac the Syrian were translated from the original Syriac into Greek at the turn of the 9th century by monks Abramios and Patrikios of St Saba Monastery in Palestine. They were widely read, primarily by monks, and bore crucial influence on all of the spiritual tradition and literature of the Eastern Church. The Ascetic Homilies are preserved in a plethora of manuscripts featuring significant differences. In 1770, Nikephoros Theotokis published an edition of the Ascetic Homilies based on two manuscripts. Theotokis’ edition was reprinted in 1895 by Ioakeim Spetsieris; in 1871, Kallinikos Pantokratorinos produced a vernacular version. To this day our knowledge of St Isaac’s work rests on these editions.
Archeologist found at the outskirts of the village of Maskare near Varvarin an early Byzantine fortification from the sixth century.
Probably the village of Maskare would not be interested for the public if archeologists have not found at the outskirts of this village a early Byzantine fortification from the sixth century. So a village revived owing to the site known as Bedem which is almost not far from more famous medieval town of Stalac
Experts will soon be back on the field. The National Museum in Krusevac announced a systematic archaeological survey of Bedem. Support also came from the Ministry of Culture, the funds of 400,000 dinars will help to further enlighten the history of this unusual fortification.
The Büyükada Greek Orphanage of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate is set to become an international environmental foundation, according to a recent article of the Turkish newspaper todayszaman.com.
A ruling by the European Court of Human Rights in June 2010 stated that the Turkish government should re-register the historic Orthodox orphanage on Büyükada to the İstanbul-based Fener Greek Orthodox Patriarchate. Following the ECtHR ruling, the orphanage will probably be turned into a global environmental center, according to comments made by the Greek Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I to the Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan.