Historic Holy Trinity Church to celebrate 110th consecration anniversary
The 110th anniversary of the consecration of Holy Trinity Church, Wilkeson, WA, will be celebrated in September 2012. His Grace Bishop Benjamin of San Francisco and the West will celebrate the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy with Archpriest John Pierce, rector of Holy Trinity Church and Holy Resurrection Church, Tacoma, WA, and Orthodox clergy from throughout the region. A celebration will follow.
Holy Trinity Church is listed on both national and state historical registers. It continues to serve the community on special occasions and feast days, as regular services are now held at the larger Holy Resurrection Church.
Founded in 1896, the parish ministered to the coal mining community in the Cascade Mountain foothills of southeast Pierce County, approximately 45 miles southeast of Seattle. Built in 1900, Holy Trinity Church was consecrated in 1902 by Bishop Saint TIkhon [Belavin] of the Aleutians and North America, who later returned to Russia where in 1917 he was elected Patriarch of Moscow. In 1925, he died as a confessor of the faith, a victim of the Soviet government’s anti-Church policies.