When Orthodox Serbs who fled the communist regime during World War II established St. Elijah Parish and built the cathedral in Merrillville at 8700 Taft St., they did so to provide a place of worship for their children and a gathering place for all Orthodox Serbs.
Today, the next generation is continuing that legacy by raising funds to paint the interior walls of the cathedral with religious frescos.
Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Alexander II and Crown Princess Katherine attended over the weekend 100th Anniversary of St. George Serbian Orthodox Church in Schererville, Indiana. Celebration that took place on Saturday and Sunday was also attended by H.E. Mr. Milorad Dodik, President of Republika Srpska, and Mr. Desko Nikitovic, Serbian Consul General in Chicago.
The best Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic donated for the church in Jasenovo Polje, near Niksic, the sum of 35.000 euros, as the Podgorica's newspaper "Dan" reports.
As the newuspapers say, the village of Jasenovo Polje was a craddle of the family of the first tennis player of the world, from which his great-grandfather Nedjeljko, because of the hard conditions, moved to Metohija in 1928.
The church of Holy Trinity, one of the greatest on the south of Serbia, near Bosilegrad, on the border with Bulgaria, eleven remaining residents of Izvor keep in shifts.
Since there is no enough churches in nearby villages, and that the Orthodox people there is left without spiritual food, father Andrei decided to visit villages and to serve the Liturgy in the bus, confess and do all necessary Sacraments and rites.
Minister of Culture, Media and Information Service Predrag Markovic today visits the Hilandar, where he will inform the head of the monastery that the Ministry collected additional 15 million dinars for the restoration of the Grand quarters.
The Ministry during 2011 already helped the endowement of the monastery of Hilandar with 60 million dinars intended for the restoration of parts of the monastery which are mostly damaged in the fire.