St. George Serbian Orthodox Church's century celebration Sunday brought together Serbian royalty from Belgrade, Orthodox Christian clergy from across North America and Europe and hundreds of Serbian-Americans and friends.
Following morning worship services at the church, Crown Prince Alexander II and Princess Katherine of Serbia were honored guests at a luncheon at the nearby Halls of St. George in Schererville.
When Orthodox Serbs who fled the communist regime during World War II established St. Elijah Parish and built the cathedral in Merrillville at 8700 Taft St., they did so to provide a place of worship for their children and a gathering place for all Orthodox Serbs.
Today, the next generation is continuing that legacy by raising funds to paint the interior walls of the cathedral with religious frescos.
Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Alexander II and Crown Princess Katherine attended over the weekend 100th Anniversary of St. George Serbian Orthodox Church in Schererville, Indiana. Celebration that took place on Saturday and Sunday was also attended by H.E. Mr. Milorad Dodik, President of Republika Srpska, and Mr. Desko Nikitovic, Serbian Consul General in Chicago.
The best Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic donated for the church in Jasenovo Polje, near Niksic, the sum of 35.000 euros, as the Podgorica's newspaper "Dan" reports.
As the newuspapers say, the village of Jasenovo Polje was a craddle of the family of the first tennis player of the world, from which his great-grandfather Nedjeljko, because of the hard conditions, moved to Metohija in 1928.