Metropolitan Onuphry consecrates Kiev’s oldest wooden church on feast of Meeting of the Lord

Yesterday, on the great feast of the Meeting of the Lord, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry of Kiev and All Ukraine celebrated the Divine Liturgy and consecration of the Church of the Great Martyr Demetrios of Thessalonica in the Zhuliany neighborhood of Kiev, the oldest surviving wooden church in Kiev, reports the site of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

The consecration of the newly-renovated church was celebrated before the Divine Liturgy.

The Church of St. Demetrios of Thessaloniki is the oldest wooden church preserved in Kiev (not counting the churches of the exhibits of the Museum of Folk Architecture). The first Church of St. Demetrios on the spot was built in 1715 by monks of the Monastery of St. Sophia. A new, small wooden church was later built, which caught on fire when it was struck by lightning in 1859. The wooden church that remains until now was built soon after the fire in 1862.

His Beatitude was concelebrated by Metropolitan Anthony of Boryspil and Brovary, Archbishop Theodosius of Boyarka, Bishop Nikolia of Vasilkov, Bishop Tikhon of Gostomel, and the clergy of the church with various guests.

Met. Onuphry addressed the faithful with a sermon following the reading of the Holy Gospel, and a prayer for peace in Ukraine was offered during the service.

Following the Divine Liturgy, the Ukrainian primate blessed candles and presented Church awards to the benefactors who contributed to the restoration of the church.