October 30, 2013 – the 10th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches began its work at the Bexco convention center in Busan. The delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church is led by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Department for External Church Relations.
October 29-30, the memory of Council Johannes Kapodistrias (1776-1831), Russian Empire’s state secretary for foreign affairs and the first ruler of independent Greece, was honoured in solemn celebrations in Greece on the occasion of the 185th anniversary of his inauguration as Head of the Greek State in 1828. The celebrations were initiated by the Russian Center of National Glory.
The first part of the celebrations took place on October 29 in Nafplio, the first capital city of independent Greece. The requiem service was celebrated at the church of St. Spyridon of Trimythous, near which Count Kapodostrias was assassinated in 1831. The Nafplio officials, the guards of honour of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet and Greek military laid wreaths at the monument to the first ruler. A solemn concert was given at the Greek Parliament.
On 29 October 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with the President of Ecuador, H. E. Rafael Correa.
They were joined in the meeting, which took place at the Patriarchal resident in St. Daniel’s Monastery, by Minister Ricardo Patiño of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Integration; Ms Maria Fernanda Espinosa, Minister of National Defense; ministers Rafael Poveda Bonilla, Guillaume Long, Richard Espinosa, National secretary for planning and development Pabel Muñoz ; and H.E. Chávez Závala, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Ecuador to the Russian Federation.
On Saturday the 12th/26th of October 2013, the feast of the translation of the relics of our hosios Father, Savvas the Consecrated, was celebrated at the Holy Monastery founded by him in the desert of Judea.
Orthodox Bishop allowed to visit northern Cyprus in exchange for a Mufti's visit to the south of the island28. October 2013 - 12:19
A Bishop of the Church of Cyprus has been allowed to venerate Relics and Shrines in that part of his Diocese which is situated in the area of the island, occupied by Turks. In 1974 Turkey encroached upon the territory of Cyprus and occupied 40 percent of the island.
On October 16, Bishop Christopher of Karpasia, who for over 18 months had been refused permission to visit the northern part of Cyprus by the Turkish authorities, managed to visit St. Andrew's Monastery in the Karpass Peninsula in north-eastern Cyprus.