A commemorative cross will be erected at the yard of the destroyed school in Beslan on September 2, then an Orthodox church will be built here to commemorate victims of the terrorist act, the local administration told Interfax on Thursday. Besides, this year the plan of mourning events includes concert-requiem Memory of the Heart suggested by Mothers of Beslan committee.
CNN International will air a program entitled "Turkey's Dwindling Greek Christians" as part of its series "World's Untold Stories." The program will air on the CNN International Channel (look for it in your local cable, satellite listings) as follows:
* Saturday, Aug. 28: (GMT) 13:30, 20:00 - (EDT, New York) 9:30 a.m., 4:00 p.m.
* Sunday, Aug. 29: (GMT) 12:00, 20:30 - (EDT, New York) 8:00 a.m., 4:30 p.m., 11:00 p.m.
* Monday, Aug. 30: (GMT) 03:00
* Tuesday, Aug. 31: (GMT) 12:30, 17:30 - (EDT, New York) 8:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
On Thursday 26th August 2010, His Beatitude Theodoros II, Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa met with His Excellency the Prime Minister of Azerbaijan Mr. Artur Tahir oglu Rasizade, in the framework of his journey to the Caucasus of South Russia.
During their lengthy talks His Beatitude informed His Excellency the Prime Minister about the historic path of the Alexandrian Church as well as of its multifaceted missionary, philanthropic, educational and social activities in the countries of Africa for the suffering people.
Church and modern art could enrich each other, painter Gor Chakhal said, who initiated and monitored Dialogue in the Church exhibition recently held in St. Tatiana Church at Moscow State University. "Church can help modern art as it knows religion better tan certain artists who are reinventing the wheel," he said in his interview published by the Vedomosti paper on Tuesday.
By August 20, the amount of 39 052 000 roubles, 26 254 US dollars and 5 451 euros has come to the accounts of the Synodal Department for Church Charity and Social Service by August 18, the Miloserdie.ru has reported.
The present needs are as follows:
- oxygen cylinders (medical) and 240-litre plastic bags
- foodstuffs: canned meat and fish, tinned stewed meat, cereals, macaroni, milk and drinking water
- fire fighting appliances: 51-mm fire hoses and adapter connectors for pumps, petrol-powered pumps; 110×51-triplex valves, special clothes, axes, tarpaulin gauntlets, petrol-powered saws, respirators, special footwear with a thick sole, backpack fire-extinguishers.
- clothes and other things: (please bring only new clothes with labels) bed linen, underwear, socks for men and women, mattresses, beds, refrigerators, waffle-cloth towels, women's large-size nightgowns, large-size and light dressing gowns, field showers, deposable tableware, tarpaulin sleeping bags, tarpaulin tents.
Rector of Sts Peter and Paul Parish in Hong Kong Archpriest Dionisy Pozdnyayev is convinced that the whole Moscow Patriarchate should consider the problems of Orthodoxy in China. "It's extremely important, we have to spare no effort. The whole Church should consider the question: on one side, it involves bordering dioceses, on the other, theological educational establishments, and, on the third, the Department for External Church Relations. In fact, each synodal department can do something in this direction. The topic of Orthodoxy in China should be lifted up to the level of the whole church," Fr. Dionisy told Interfax-Religion.