The early years of the 20th century witnessed the rise of a unique Chicago ecclesiastical landmark — Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral, designed by noted architect Louis Henry Sullivan. Collaborating with Sullivan in the cathedral’s construction was the parish’s rector, Father John Kochurov, who had been assigned to serve Chicago’s Orthodox Christian community in 1895. Consecrated in 1903, the completed edifice drew much attention at the time, being the first example of Byzantine and Russian architecture and iconography in the US Heartland.
On October 31, 2016, the Supreme Church Council of the Russian Orthodox Church met at the Cathedral Church of Christ the Saviour in Moscow. It was chaired by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
On Sunday, 30 October 2016, on the feast-day of Holy Prophet Hosea and Saint Andrew of Crete, with the blessing of His Holiness Irinej, Serbian Patriarch, His Grace Bishop Andrey of Rososhan and Ostrogosh celebrated the Holy Liturgy in the crypt of Saint Sava Cathedral in Belgrade, with the concelebration of His Grace Bishop Antony of Moravica, dean of the Representation of the Serbian Patriarchate to Moscow, and His Grace Bishop Arsenije of Toplica, Vicar Bishop of the Serbian Patriarch and the principal of the Saint Sava Cathedral.
Bishop Antony of Moravica, dean of the Representation of the Serbian Patriarchate to the Patriarchate of Moscow, accompanied the high guest from Russia while visiting Serbia. On behalf of the Serbian Patriarch, Bishop Arsenije delivered a welcome address. The church choir Mokranjac under the guidance of Miss Milica Tisma sang responses.
On Wednesday, the 13th/26th of October 2016, the Patriarchate celebrated the return of the relics of hosios Savva the Sanctified to his Monastery.
An Orthodox cathedral famed for its century-old Russian icons will open its doors to the public for the first time as part of a series of special openings of usually exclusive heritage sites.
On October 26 the Iveron Convent in the city of Donetsk celebrates its patronal feast, reports the site Orthodox Donbass. With the blessing of His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion of Donetsk and Mariupol the Divine Liturgy has been celebrated there again in spite of the terrible ravages of the combat operations. For the first time since the closure of the convent and the evacuation of the nuns a service was celebrated on February 25, 2016. On May 3, during Bright Week, the prayer of the ruling hierarch again resounded there.