Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Opens a New Orthodox Chapel in Suzdal
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev stands with Orthodox archbishop Evlogy during the unveiling ceremony of a new chapel to mark the National Unity Day in the ancient Russian town of Suzdal, about 200 km (124 miles) east of Moscow, on November 4, 2009. Suzdal (Russian: Су́здаль) is a town in Vladimir Oblast, Russia, situated north-east of Moscow, 26 kilometers (16 mi) from the city of Vladimir, on the Kamenka River. Population: 11,357 (2002 Census); 12,063 (1989 Census).
In Suzdal there are 4 churches:
Wooden Church of Saint Nicholas. This church was built in Glotovo Russia in 1766 and was recently moved to Suzdal in 1960 to be part of a museum of wooden architecture. The church is elevated off the ground about a story high from when it was moved across the country. This church is made out of all wood and represents the close relationship between wood and stone architecture and how precise the Russians were while building this back in 1766.
St John the Baptist Church. This church was built in 1720, the same time that Saint Nicholas church was built. The amazing thing about this church is the difference between the types of architecture of the two churches that were built during the same time period. Whereas the Saint Nicholas church is all wooden the St John Church is made out of white plastered walls with wooden supports. The differences between the arches and textures and overall appearance is truly so different and is definitely a sight to see.
The Saint Alexander Convent. This church was built in 1240 by an unknown architect. It is said that the princesses of Suzdal, Mariya and Agrippina, were buried here in 1300s. The old architecture with new improvements makes this church interesting and different.
Convent of Intercession. The convent was found in 1264. In the center of this beautiful white walled convent is the cathedral of the Intercession; it was an add on built in 1518 by and unknown man. The interior of the cathedral has no paintings of stained glass it is just plan white stone walls all around. The church was and still is one of the richest convents in Russia. The convent is the home of many nuns and is also the burial vault for twenty nuns of noble birth. Connected to the white stoned wall cathedral is an art museum you can tour. There are many beautiful paintings but none in the actual cathedral itself. This building is filled with beautiful arches and art built in the 16th and 17th century is a wonderful place to visit. Plus in the very heart of the convent is a restaurant to feed your appetite after all the site seeing.
Source: UPI/Alex Volgin