Serbian church delegation visits Naval Cathedral of Saint Nicholas in Kronstadt
His Holiness Irinej, Serbian Patriarch with his high delegation, during the visit to the Metropolitanate of St. Petersburg, visited on 22 July 2013 the Naval Cathedral of Holy Wonderworker Nicholas of Kronstadt.
The head of the Serbian Orthodox Church toured the Cathedral, as well as lower church of Saint John of Ryla. President of the Commission for monitoring within the Head board of the International charity fund “ Kronstadt Naval Cathedral” A.G. Zahvatov informed His Holiness about restoration works which have been performed since 2009.
The Naval Cathedral of Kronstadt was built in 1913. It was designed by Vasily Kosyakov. One considers it as a memorial church for all those who lost their lives at sea. The church was consecrated on 10/23 June 1913 in attendance of the royal family. It was located in the parish of the Naval Cathedral of Epiphany and services were held here until 1927. The Saint Nicholas Naval Cathedral was closed on 14 October 1927.
On the feast of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker in 2005 the Divine Liturgy was served first time after 75 years. On 19 April 2012 His Holiness Patriarch Kirill in the presence of President of Russia D.A. Medvedev performed the rite of small consecration of the Naval Cathedral.
Patriarch Kirill performed a great consecration of the Saint Nicholas Naval Cathedral on 28 May 2013 and together with His Beatitude Patriarch Teophilos of Jerusalem served the Divine Liturgy.
Source: Moscow Patriarchate