Serbian Orthodox Church

Harshest condemnation of attack on Church of Dormition of Holy Virgin in Orahovac

The Serbian government’s Office for Kosovo-Metohija has condemned in the harshest terms yesterday’s attack on the Church of Dormition of Holy Virgin in Orahovac and requests that the perpetrators be immediately found and brought to justice.The statement by the Office for Kosovo-Metohija says that the attack on the Serbian church, on the day of the big Eastern Christian holiday of Intercession of the Theotokos, at the moment when children were playing in the church yard, confirms that an atmosphere of fear and lawlessness is still being fomented in Kosovo-Metohija, an atmosphere where there is no safety neither for Serbs nor for Serbian holy sites.

Oplenac Royal Crypt: Memorial Rite for King Alexander Karadjordjevic served

Oplenac Royal Crypt: Memorial Rite for King Alexander Karadjordjevic served
Oplenac Royal Crypt: Memorial Rite for King Alexander Karadjordjevic served
Oplenac Royal Crypt: Memorial Rite for King Alexander Karadjordjevic served
Oplenac Royal Crypt: Memorial Rite for King Alexander Karadjordjevic served

On Friday, 9 October 2015, when the Church celebrates Holy Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian, His Grace Bishop Jovan of Sumadia officiated the Divine Hierarchal Liturgy, with concelebration of  local priests, in the church of Saint Great-martyr George on Oplenac.

A church stoned in Orahovac!

Several unidentified young men threw stones at the gate of the courtyard of the Church of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God in Orahovac. The case was reported to the Kosovo police.

Orahovac, 14.9.2015 - According to Radio Kontakt Plus from Kosovska Mitrovica, the incident took place today after the Liturgy which had been celebrated in this church on the occasion of the church feast-day of the Protection of the Mother of God at the moment when children of the parish priest of Orahovac Revd. Velja Stojkovic were playing in the churchyard.

Diplomatic battle against Kosovo's admission to UNESCO

First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Ivica Dacic said today that Serbia will continue with its activities in order to prevent the admission of Kosovo to UNESCO, but warned that this fight will be extremely difficult.

Appearing on Radio Television Serbia (RTS), Dacic stressed that countries that have not recognised the unilaterally proclaimed independence of Kosovo suffer high pressures. He said that Serbia will wait for a session of the Executive Council of UNESCO, to be held on 21 October, when the issue of Kosovo's membership will be on the agenda, noting that Serbia will go on with its activities directed against Kosovo's entry into this organisation.
According to Dacic, Russia, China, Cuba, Spain, Argentina and Brazil oppose Kosovo's membership in UNESCO, as they consider this to be the unnecessary politicisation of this organisation.