Serbian Patriarch in Osnabrück
After the Church-school congregation in Hannover, His Holiness Irinej paid a canonical visit to the church of Saint George in Osnabrück, Germany on December 5.
Protopriest Sinisa Vujasinovic with lots of faithful Serbian people from this part of Northwestern Germany made a magnificent welcome for the Serbian Patriarch. Archpriest Dusko Spasojevic from Dusseldorf officiated the vigil service with the concelebration of protodeacon Damjan Bozic.
Following the Duvune Liturgy, His Holiness served the memorial service for military leaders and soldiers who gave their lives for faith and Fatherland. In the vicinity of the church and below the narthex 116 officers and soldiers of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia were buried, who tragically died in the prison camp Oflag on 6 December 1944.
The principal of the church, protopriest Sinisa Vujasinovic welcomed the Serbian Patriarch on his own behalf and on behalf of his parishioners.
The church-school congregation was founded in 1960, but the community had already existed in 1942. The church dedicated to Saint George was consecrated by Bishop Lavrentije in 1982. Besides the church, the parish house was also built and is dedicated to Saint Lazar.
During the then construction of the church, the City council in Osnabrück presented a bell and electric installation as well as a certain amount of money. The iconostasis was painted by protodeacon Marko Ilic, and fresco painting was rendered by Mr. Dusan Mihailovic. The church is a copy of the Kalenic monastery in Serbia. The church has two more liturgical places of prayer: the chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel in Lingen and a filial church at the Roman Catholic church in Münster.
Source: Diocese of Middle Europe