Visit to St. Herman of Alaska Monastery in Platina

On Saturday, August  23, 2013 His Grace, Bishop Maxim visited parishes in Northern California. During this trip, His Grace visited our St. Herman of Alaska Monastery located in Plantina. (Photogalery)

A Visit to Monastery Marcha

This evening, August 29, 2013, Archimandrite Alexandar (Cutler) visited New Marcha Monastery together with his fellow brethren Monk Daniel and the brotherhood of Holy Cross Hermitage ( http://holycross-hermitage.com ) Hieromonk Nektarije and Monk Ephraim. The Fathers attended Vespers after which they joined the Sisters for dinner.

Shadeland: Diocesan Day 2013

Shadeland: Diocesan Day 2013
Shadeland: Diocesan Day 2013
Shadeland: Diocesan Day 2013
Shadeland: Diocesan Day 2013

With the blessing of His Grace Bishop Mitrophan of Eastern America the annual Diocesan Day celebration was held on Sunday, August 11, 2013, the feast day of the Holy Martyr St. Callinicus.

The day began with the Holy Hierarchical Divine Liturgy with over twenty diocesan clergy and three deacons assisting His Grace, the bishop, at the holy altar. Churches from the Cleveland and Pittsburgh area were closed and all parishioners were invited to attend the diocesan celebration in Shadeland, which also served as the closing of this year's children's camp season. Once again this year the camp season was a success.  There were clergy and parishioners from as far as Washington D.C. and North Carolina.

Holy Transfiguration of our Lord

Holy Transfiguration of our Lord
Holy Transfiguration of our Lord
Holy Transfiguration of our Lord
Holy Transfiguration of our Lord

On Monday, August 19, 2013 His Grace Bishop Maixm, Fr. Nikola Ceko, Fr. Norman Kosanovich, and the faithful of Saint Steven's Serbian Orthodox Cathedral celebrated the Feast of the Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Following the Divine Liturgy a small reception was held outdoors where everyone enjoyed fellowship.

A brief history of Portland Parish

A brief history of Portland Parish
A brief history of Portland Parish
A brief history of Portland Parish
A brief history of Portland Parish

Orthodox Christian organized church life in Portland, Oregon began in the 1890s with the arrival of Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovic, Serbian Orthodox Apostle to America. A missionary priest for California and the Pacific Northwest, Archimandrite Sebastian visited local Christian Orthodox families in Portland where he founded the first Orthodox Christian chapel dedicating it in the name of the “Holy and Life-giving Trinity”. The chapel was consecrated on February 26, 1895 and liturgical services were conducted from 1895 to 1926. After the church was founded, Father Sebastian would travel to Portland to perform the Holy Liturgy for two consecutive years. At that time, the small congregation consisted of six Syrians, four Serbs, and two Russians.