Weekly Diocesan Bulletin - Sunday, October 18, 2015

20th Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Fathers of the 
Seventh Ecumenical Council; Holy Martyr Charitina of Amisus; Holy Hieromartyr Dionysius, Bishop of Alexandria

RESURRECTIONAL TROPARION - TONE THREE:  Let the heavens rejoice!  Let the earth be glad!  For the Lord has shown strength with His arm!  He has trampled down death by death!  He has become the firstborn of the dead!  He has delivered us from the depths of hell, and has granted to the world great mercy!

The Protection of our Most Holy Lady the Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary

The Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos: “Today the Virgin stands in the midst of the Church, and with choirs of Saints she invisibly prays to God for us. Angels and Bishops venerate Her, Apostles and prophets rejoice together, Since for our sake she prays to the Eternal God!”

This miraculous appearance of the Mother of God occurred in the mid-tenth century in Constantinople, in the Blachernae church where her robe, veil, and part of her belt were preserved after being transferred from Palestine in the fifth century.

On Sunday, October 1, during the All Night Vigil, when the church was overflowing with those at prayer, the Fool-for-Christ St Andrew (October 2), at the fourth hour, lifted up his eyes towards the heavens and beheld our most Holy Lady Theotokos coming through the air, resplendent with heavenly light and surrounded by an assembly of the Saints. St John the Baptist and the holy Apostle John the Theologian accompanied the Queen of Heaven. On bended knees the Most Holy Virgin tearfully prayed for Christians for a long time. Then, coming near the Bishop’s Throne, she continued her prayer.

Archaeologist Discovers Early Byzantine Basilica In "Frankish Quarter" of Medieval Bulgarian Capital Tarnovgrad

An Early Byzantine Christian basilica has been discovered during archaeological excavations the city of Veliko Tarnovo in Northern Bulgaria, southeast of the fortress wall of the Tsarevets Hill Fortress, in the so called Frenkhisar, or the “Frankish Quarter”, of Tarnovgrad, the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1185-1396 AD).

The ruins of the previously unknown Christian temple from the early period of the Byzantine Empirehave been found by the team of Prof. Hitko Vachev from the Veliko Tarnovo Regional Museum of History.

Archaeology Museum in Bulgaria's Plovdiv Shows for the First Time Newly Restored Early Christian Tomb With Murals of Jesus Christ's Miracles

  A 4th century AD Early Christian Roman tomb with stunning biblical murals depicting the miracles of Jesus Christ, which was found by accident in the southern Bulgarian city of Plovdiv in 2012, has now been restored and shown to the public for the first time.

New Study on Orthodox Generosity and Giving to the Church

The Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America has released a new study today, "Exploring Orthodox Generosity: Giving in US Orthodox Parishes." The 138-page report is accompanied by a brief summary that shares the highlights of the study. The study was prepared by the Assembly's research coordinator, Alexei Krindatch.