Transfer of the relics of martyrs of Surdulica and consecration of Memorial ossuary (1924-2010) in Surdulica
Magnificent transfer of the relics of the martyrs of Surdulica rom the First World War in the renovated Memorial ossuary in Surdulica, was enhanced by series of spiritual and cultural manifestations. The central event of the transfer of the Surdulica martyrs was a service in the St. George church in Surdulica on May 29,2010. Upon the invitation of the Bishop Pahomije of Vranje, the celebration was attended by the envoy of His Holiness IRINEJ, Serbian Patriarch and the Holy Synod of Bishops, His Grace Bishop Ignjatije of Branichevo. The service in the St. George church began with the memorial service to the martyrs of Surdulica, and after that the Holy Hierarchal Liturgy was served.
The Holy liturgy was served by Bishops Ignjatije and Pahomije, with the concelebration of priests and monks of the Diocese of Vranje.
After the end of the Holy Liturgy a procession went from the the St. George church to the Memorial ossuary, led by Bishops Ignjatije and Pahomije, priests, monks and faithful people, in which 36 boys from Surdulica, Vranje, Vladicin Han and Bujanovac, carried 18 coffins with the remains of the Surdulica martyrs.
The coffins with the remains of the Surdulica martyrs were lowered in the Memorial ossuary which was built in 1924, and which was destroyed by the Bulgarian occupators in 1941, and which was restored in 2004.
Later Bishops Ignjatije and Pahomije with the priesthood consecrated a new building of the Technical high school "Nikola Tesla" in Surdulica.
Source: Diocese of Vranje