The night of July 16/17 is a tragic date in the history of Russia. On this day in Yekaterinburg, the Russian Tsar Nicolas II, Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna, their children as well as their faithful servants were brutally murdered.
The Church “on the Blood” in honour of All Saints who have Shone Forth in the Russian Land, has now been built on the site of the crime. And the tragic night annually gathers thousands of pilgrims to this site from all over Russia and other countries for prayer, reports the News Agency of the Yekaterinburg Diocese.
Let us pray today and in all the days to come to St. Sergius, that he might raise our prayers to the Throne of the Almighty: for our people, for our entire historical Fatherland, for the Russian land, and for our Church, that he might preserve it in oneness and keep it from enemy forces.
On July 16 a procession with thousands of people went from the Stavropegial Monastery of the Protection in Khotkovo, a suburb of Moscow, where the relics of Sts. Cyril and Maria– the parents of St. Sergius – reside to the Annunciation field in Sergiev Posad.
120,000 people visited the grave of elder Paisios the Athonite on the 20th anniversary of his repose16. Јул 2014 - 9:52
20 years ago (on July 12, 1994) the Athonite elder Paisios (Eznipidis) reposed. On July 12-13, 2014, a very large number of people came to commemorate the great ascetic of our times and to pray at his grave, reports AgionOros.ru.
Thousands of pilgrims queued for hours in huge lines waiting for their opportunity to come up to the elder’s grave, to lay flowers and pray. At the Convent of Sts. John the Theologian and Arsenios of Cappadocia, where elder Paisios of Mount Athos is buried, at the anniversary of his repose a service for the dead and a Vigil were celebrated, followed by the Divine Liturgy early in the morning.
The Church of Beheading of St. John the Baptist, destroyed by the French at their retreat from Moscow in 1812, will be reconstructed near the walls of the Novodevichy Convent, reports Interfax-Religion with the reference to Vladimir Resin, State Duma deputy and adviser of Patriarch Kirill.
“The approximate, cost of the building will be 50 million rubles,” he said on Tuesday at a press conference in Moscow. The chronicles date the foundation of this church to the year 1525 – the time of construction of the Novodevichy Convent. In September 1812, the convent was temporarily occupied by the French, who, could not destroy the whole convent as the left, but did destroy the Church of Beheading of St. John the Baptist. As contemporary to the convent, this church was an integral part of its ensemble. One of the convent towers is called “Predtechenskaya” (“of the Forerunner”) to this day.
Vardzia is the cave monastery complex of the 12th-13th centuries in the valley of the Kura river, situated about 70 kilometers south of the town of Borjomi. This is an outstanding monument of medieval Georgian architecture.
The three-day international seminar, dedicated to the development of plans for conservating the Vardzia cave monastery complex in the Samche-Javaheti region, began on July 9 at the nature reserve. The seminar is organized by the National Agency for Cultural Heritage Preservation of Georgia and the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia. “The primary aim of the National Agency for Cultural Heritage Preservation of Georgia is to stop the rockslides in the unique cave complex and prolong the life of the historical site. In order to save Vardzia, Georgian specialists should unite and work out the (still non-existent) document on preservation of Vardzia. This document will serve as a start of preparation of the plan for control of the cave monastery complex,” reports the Ministry of Culture. The special guest of the seminar was president of the Scientific Advisory Council of the Italian Ministry for the Environment, UNESCO consultant, assistant to the president of the International consortium on landslides Claudio Margottini.