CNN International will air a program entitled "Turkey's Dwindling Greek Christians" as part of its series "World's Untold Stories." The program will air on the CNN International Channel (look for it in your local cable, satellite listings) as follows:
* Saturday, Aug. 28: (GMT) 13:30, 20:00 - (EDT, New York) 9:30 a.m., 4:00 p.m.
* Sunday, Aug. 29: (GMT) 12:00, 20:30 - (EDT, New York) 8:00 a.m., 4:30 p.m., 11:00 p.m.
* Monday, Aug. 30: (GMT) 03:00
* Tuesday, Aug. 31: (GMT) 12:30, 17:30 - (EDT, New York) 8:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
Church and modern art could enrich each other, painter Gor Chakhal said, who initiated and monitored Dialogue in the Church exhibition recently held in St. Tatiana Church at Moscow State University. "Church can help modern art as it knows religion better tan certain artists who are reinventing the wheel," he said in his interview published by the Vedomosti paper on Tuesday.
By August 20, the amount of 39 052 000 roubles, 26 254 US dollars and 5 451 euros has come to the accounts of the Synodal Department for Church Charity and Social Service by August 18, the Miloserdie.ru has reported.
The present needs are as follows:
- oxygen cylinders (medical) and 240-litre plastic bags
- foodstuffs: canned meat and fish, tinned stewed meat, cereals, macaroni, milk and drinking water
- fire fighting appliances: 51-mm fire hoses and adapter connectors for pumps, petrol-powered pumps; 110×51-triplex valves, special clothes, axes, tarpaulin gauntlets, petrol-powered saws, respirators, special footwear with a thick sole, backpack fire-extinguishers.
- clothes and other things: (please bring only new clothes with labels) bed linen, underwear, socks for men and women, mattresses, beds, refrigerators, waffle-cloth towels, women's large-size nightgowns, large-size and light dressing gowns, field showers, deposable tableware, tarpaulin sleeping bags, tarpaulin tents.
Rector of Sts Peter and Paul Parish in Hong Kong Archpriest Dionisy Pozdnyayev is convinced that the whole Moscow Patriarchate should consider the problems of Orthodoxy in China. "It's extremely important, we have to spare no effort. The whole Church should consider the question: on one side, it involves bordering dioceses, on the other, theological educational establishments, and, on the third, the Department for External Church Relations. In fact, each synodal department can do something in this direction. The topic of Orthodoxy in China should be lifted up to the level of the whole church," Fr. Dionisy told Interfax-Religion.
The Hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA Send Condolences to the Hierarchs, Clergy and Faithful of the Serbian Orthodox Church in North and South America on the Repose of Metropolitan Christopher!
To our brethren in the Lord: Hierarchs, venerable clergy, devout monastics and Christ-loving faithful of the Serbian Orthodox Church in North and South America.
Glory to Jesus Christ!
It has only been a few hours since that moment when the servant of God, His Eminence Metropolitan Christopher departed this physical world and was born unto eternal life. This just, forbearing and faithful steward, through whose hands, Almighty God, One in the Holy Trinity, blessed all His children in the land of North and South Americas, and whose voice never ceased to proclaim the word of truth - the Gospel message in a land enriched by the witness of so many saints.